There’s still something symbolic about the start of the School year that makes me want to start something new, progress up a level and improve myself. Even though it’s been more years than I will admit to since my own school days, every September I can feel change coming, or a willingness for change to happen. Do you?
You have under 4 months of 2017 left, what do you want to make happen before the end of the year? Did you have a goal for your career at the start of the year? Is it still the same or has it changed? What do you want to make happen before 2018?
Why make a change this September?
Embrace the change in seasons. As well as the start of the new school year, it’s also a change in season. Autumn colours, the change of the leaves, the crisp air coming back. Autumn’s my favourite season so I may be biased, but I feel like Autumn is a great time to embrace change, and start to get our heads down make change happen.
What do you want to achieve before 2017 ends? We’re officially in the last quarter of the 2017. What have you made happen this year? What do you still want to make happen? How do you want to approach 2018? Do the work now and finish 2017 on a high.
Make the most of the darker nights. Darker nights are coming and you can work them to your advantage. How can you make the most of them? Can you focus more on what you want and do the work to make it happen now the play time of summer nights has come to an end?
How to make a change in the last 4 months of the year?
- Get clear on what you want next. Then make a plan to get there.
- Sign up to job sites and make your criteria as specific as possible.
- Push yourself to apply for the jobs you want, and seek out the support you need to give it your best shot.
- Utilise my services to support you with your job interviews.
- Join new professional networks.
- Update and utilise your LinkedIn profile.
- Have an honest discussion with your boss about what you want and ask if you can agree on a plan to get there.
- Put your hand up for new projects.
- Look into relevant qualifications and discuss them with your boss.
- Become clear on your inherent natural strengths and understand where they can take you. I recommend StrengthsFinder 2.0: A New and Upgraded Edition of the Online Test from Gallup’s Now Discover Your Strengths by Tom Rath to help you with this.
- Challenge yourself to step in to a new situation that you aren’t 100% confident in.
- Seek honest feedback from your boss or a senior member of staff you trust.
- Identify a skill you want to develop and do it.
Utilise the change in season, the new starts this season brings and the what next spirit that is in the air right now to create positive change in your career. Make the most of the remainder of 2017 to generate positive change for you and your career.
Have friends who would find this article useful? Share it with them using the icons below.
To find out how I can help you further see My Services page.
If you enjoyed this post you’ll love my FREE Successful Interviews Guide – sign up for your copy (you’ll also get tips and advice from me straight to your inbox).
Sign up for your FREE Successful Interview Guide and Email Updates
**Please note the above book is an affiliate link therefore I may receive small financial compensation if you chose to purchase this books through my link. I’ve found this book very helpful personally and have no hesitation in recommending it.